With literally hundreds of thousands of apps, there is quite simply almost an app for everything, from apps that can teach you how to do marathon training, to apps that can give you bus timetables; there is something for everyone. There are even apps that can help you manage your career and your business. The problem is that there are so many out there that it can be a huge challenge figuring out which ones will work best for you. There is always going to be some trial and error, but these are some of the top apps for managing careers and businesses, and so are a good place for anyone to start.
1. BeKnown is an app that facilitates professional networking on the social media platform, Facebook. This is an excellent app for managing and developing your career. It is common knowledge that the best way to grow your career is through networking, and social media has really come to the fore in this area. The only problem is that it can be difficult to keep personal and professional social media profiles separate, which can lead to embarrassment. That being said, BeKnown permits you to apply for jobs on Facebook, but maintain the privacy of your Facebook information. Look through social media for job opportunities, look at companies you are interested in and apply for positions – this app allows you to do all of this. In a similar way to Facebook, Beknown links you or matches you with positions that might be of interest to you. You can also invite your contacts from other social media networks. Clearly this is a good tool for managing your career.
2. Asana is an app that is designed to facilitate your career and your day to day life in the work place by acting as a kind of project manager. Much of the tedious and difficult times in a work day are when there is miscommunication and difficulty on a project. Asana allows you to create an account for your working group – it enables you do delegate tasks, keep an eye on the progress and know who is working on what at any given time. This means that you don’t have to spend your working day relaying emails and conversations because they all happen in one place.
3. An app that can work hand-in-hand with Asana is CamScammer, which allows you to digitalise paper documents, whiteboard writing and presentations by just taking a picture of it. Once you have the image you can edit it to make it more user friendly and make a PDF of it. This amazing app then permits you to share this document as you would any other PDF, all without having to retype or rewrite what you want to share. It saves paper, but it also saves time, and can significantly increase efficiency.
4. There is even an app that can help you remember people’s names, it’s called Contacts Journal. This app allows you collate and organise all of your contacts and relationships in one place, taking notes on interactions you have and keeping an up to date record of meetings. Basically it makes sure that you manage the network that you are building to help your career.
5. Finally there is an app called Personal Capital and this app is basically a dashboard that allows you to keep all of your financial details in one place, with moment-to-moments access to all of your accounts.
Richard McMunn, is the founder and director of the leading career website How2become.com. His aim is to help as many people as possible pass the recruitment process they are applying for to secure the job they really want. The website offers a wide range of books, dvds and courses for those who want to ensure they have every stage of the process covered. You can also connect with Richard and How2become on YouTube