What is the average Mobile Advertising click through rate?
A new study by online advertising network Chitika (Oct-2009) found that mobile internet users – and especially iPhone users – are only about half as likely as non-mobile internet users to click on ads. The study of the same ads on different media found that non-mobile ads held steady with a 0.83% click-through rate (CTR), while mobile ads as a whole pulled a mere 0.48% – slightly more than half of the average.
This is a big difference than what was being reported in 2008. In April-08, Bango was reporting click through rates between 2-8 percent with conversion rate of 2-5 percent. See article.
What happens after the mobile click?
According to mobile analytics firm Amethon (June-2009),
- on average consumers view 1.53 pages when visiting a m0bile ad site
- Only 33% of consumers make it past the first page
- Movie campaign sites performed the best, averaging 1.65 page views and attracting 21% of the audience
- Content downloads like branded wallpapers or videos don’t improve engagement much.
Are there any examples of Mobile Advertising campaigns with good Mobile CTRs?
- Kodak mobile advertising campaign saw a 1.7 mobile CTR
- Honda Insight mobile ad campaign claims a 27% CTR!
- Mobile Posse claims 18% CTR for idle-screen mobile advertising campaign
- Goodyear SMS Advertising claims a 5.2%