Very similar to PC Web, there are some simple things you can do to help improve the visibility of your app in the App store. Here are 10 things you can do to improve your ranking:
1. Use keywords in the app title and developer name. For example, a user searching for “fun” sees a number of apps with “fun” in the title in the top search rankings.
2. Use numbers or the letter ‘A’ in the app title – Using a blank or listing your app with a number at the beginning of the name ensures that the app will be featured near the top of the results in the “sort by name” view under a specific category.
3. Encourage reviews – Only about 0.5% of users leave a review, but one element to the Apple store search algorithm appears to be the number of reviews. Write your own reviews, encourage friends and family, as well as users.
4. Use price drops – a quick way to move up the charts is to reduce the price of your app. For example, one game experimented by cutting the price to 99 cents from $4.99 for four days. Previous to the price drop, the app had been ranked at around 60 in top paid apps. Afterwards, it shot up to second place within 24 hours.
5. Make you app icon active – This is a visual trick that can be very powerful as it catches the users eye.
6. Make the most of your screenshots – make sure the screenshots you display are as attractive a possible and draw people in to want to use the app.
7. List your app in directories – List your app in third party directories and aggregators. Each listing links to your iPhone app store page from within a relevant category to help drive users, downloads and reviews.
Original story by Mjelly